Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cure for Crunchy Locs

Many people assume that if they loc their hair, they won't have to do anything to it but get it twisted. That’s true, if you are content with dry, dull and crunchy locs. Many people, on the other hand, have dry and crunchy locs because they are not aware of how to take care of their hair. As a stylist, I was unaware for quite a while until I started researching and applying some of the methods that I read about.
One of my favorite discoveries is steaming. I had no idea what steaming was. I did not learn about it in school and it was not a service that was offered in the many Minneapolis salons that I had been to. As I began reading, I found that steaming works by opening the hair cuticle to allow conditioner and oil to penetrate the hair shaft better. Steaming also moisturizes hair 5x better than regular deep conditioning and prevents dry and brittle hair due to chemical and heat damage. It also helps to opens the hair follicles which helps your hair grow faster.
After reading all of that, I decided to try it out on some of my clients. I washed their hair with Redken Cleansing Cream, a clarifying shampoo and applied a mixture of virgin oils. I mixed Nairiobi Humecta-Sil conditioner with extra virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil and a few drops of rosemary essential oils. They loved it. Their hair felt a lot softer and was very flexible. I decided to add this into their monthly regiment.
In addition to steaming, I decided to stop using gels to twist hair. Gels can cause to build up on locs which leads them to being stiff and dry. Instead, I had decided to use an alcohol free loc cream mixed with water and oils. I have found that locs look and feel a lot better.
This method works for me now but as I continue to research and expand my knowledge on natural hair care, it is my hope to provide all of my clients with the best hair care possible
For a steam treatment, call Hairitage Creations @ 763-566-2155 and ask for Gradieh.

No comments:

Post a Comment